Tags

, ,

It’s nearly Christmas. This certain knowledge strikes fear into my heart. The fear stems from the fact that I have a niggling apprehension that I haven’t properly fulfilled 2011’s New Year’s resolutions. As those of you who knew me still in my Weebly days can attest, I publically announced my New Year’s resolutions for the first time last January. It was hard for me. The post in question follows with further pained elaboration upon how I’ve not yet done everything I wished at the end:

I have this shortcoming that kind of distresses me because it’s end results are rather consequential: I am loathe to verbally express my personal goals to others. Because of this other shortcoming of mine (that’s a more palatable way of saying sin; let’s call a spade a spade, shall we?) – a gigantic, knobbly pride – I dislike (very much) the putting-it-out-there-ness of telling others where I’d like to see myself grow in the next little while because I’m mortally afraid of having an audience should I fail.

Over the past six months or so, I’ve concertedly begun to try to be better in this. I’ve decided to try to trust in my loved ones and their propensity to kind gentleness as they witness my lapses and it occurs to me that in being honest with them and with myself, I’m not shattering their dreams of a flawless JoyGirl. Those who know me, know full well that I’m far from perfect. They know that I’m prone to bossiness. They know I secretly harbor the hope of controlling the universe and that I think I’d be great at it. They know I love to exaggerate to the extreme disservice to an accurately-told yarn. They know I judge others in my heart. They know I lapse all too often into gluttony with my lovely food. They know these and countless other icky things about me and me publicly acknowledging some of the ick isn’t the first time they’ve been introduced to this information. The living out of my life is, sadly, ample evidence for them to feast their eyes upon.

All of that said, my resolutions for this year are:

1) Read my Bible regularly (as in, more than while sitting in church and occasionally at home)
2) Work on my book regularly (as in, most weekdays)
3) Volunteer in a senior’s home
4) Eat healthfully
5) Cross train (as in, run at least three times per week plus exercise classes and/or strength training)

What are yours? Last year I made one of my all-time most satisfying ones you may want to note. I resolved to smile at strangers as much as possible (not counting men inclined to misunderstand my motives!). This new habit has brought me so much joy and I intend to do it for all the rest of my life, even if only for selfish purposes! Delurk, please, and let me know the ways you intend to grow this year. I’d love to know!

 

So as I re-read this old post, I’m reminded again why I hesitated to publicize it to begin with. 

Resolution #1 I’ve pretty much sucked at.  I continue to read my Bible mainly just during church.  I have, however, been inspired by a super smart friend and I write out a weekly verse for my kids and I to memorize.  It’s in the main bathroom and I bribe them with treats to do it.  Yikes.  That sounds so bad when I type it out like that.  I don’t know why I’ve failed to prioritize this one, because if I had to choose, I’d say it’s the one that’s most important to me.  So that’s one to focus on for 2012.

Resolutions #2 and #3 I’ve done well with.  Done and done.  In the interest of full disclosure, though, I have to say I’m losing a little steam with my book.  I’m becoming weary of my own voice.  When you read, you read a book for a week or so and then move on to a fresh new voice.  When you’re plodding along writing one, you immerse yourself interminably in that voice for what seems like eons.  Blech.

Resolution #4  I’ve handled in quite the same way I’ve handled the larger issue throughout my whole life.  I eat extremely well about 70% of the time.  It’s the other 30% that pads my bum and makes me feel happy.  I’m generally pretty ok with the balance I’ve struck there, though there’s certainly room for improvement.  I’d like for next year to be more an 80/20 kind of balance.  I’m going to shoot for that.  Does anyone have any tips or words of wisdom for me?  Afterall, what’s the point of a resolution if not growth?  It’s probably time for me to be done with being a 70/30 kind of girl.

Resolution #5 has gone very well.  It’s been a pretty fantastic exercise year.  It’s mostly just been running and Bikram, though I’ve popped a singularly gruelling bike ride and about five strength training sessions in there too.  For the entire year, I mean.  O and there was the hike I went on in the summertime.  And I played about six games of badminton back in July.  And that’s about it.  O but there was that super crazy fun Zumba class that I’d nearly forgotten about.  That was so cool.

Where would you like to grow over the next year?

Advertisements